The Obvious Cause
A personal injury attorney gwinnett county states that whiplash typically occurs in a car accident where you are hit from behind. The neck is then thrust back like the end of a whip, hence the name. In doing so the ligaments of the neck are stretched and injured, and the information that tells your brain where your head is in space is distorted. This leads to muscle fatigue and joint irritation. Whiplash can present over 48hrs after an incident, and if not treated properly can lead to symptoms for DECADES.
- Any accident where the head is impacted with the ground
- Tackles in sport especially if unanticipated
- High velocity neck movements
- Pain/ pins and needles/ numbness referring into the shoulder blades/ arm/ forearm/ hand
- Symptoms can last for 4-6 weeks if treated properly or can lead to ongoing issues for literally decades after an incident
Fix me please!
- Treatment, initially, consists of gentle movement, heat/ice, anti-inflammatories and relative rest
- Stretches and isometric exercises (ask your physiotherapist at PHYSIO4ALL) will be added later by your physiotherapist
- Until the muscles are working efficiently again, the neck will be susceptible to irritation and pain
- You should never wear a brace unless directed by a surgeon! This weakens the muscles of the neck.
- At PHYSIO4ALL, we almost always relieve all symptom
Click here to learn how you can Avoid Distracted Driving.